Burger foil packs are a delicious and easy-to-make meal that’s perfect for grilling, camping, or even baking in the oven. They’re a great way to enjoy all the flavors of a burger without needing a grill. Here’s a basic recipe for burger foil packs, but feel free to customize it to your liking:
For the Burger Patties:
- 1 pound ground beef (80% lean is recommended for juicier burgers)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 4 hamburger buns
For the Foil Packs:
- 4 large squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil (about 12×12 inches each)
- 1 cup sliced or diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 cup sliced or diced bell peppers (use a variety of colors for visual appeal)
- 4 slices of cheese (your choice – cheddar, American, Swiss, etc.)
- 4 tablespoons ketchup or BBQ sauce (plus extra for serving)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 dill pickle slices (optional)
- 4 squares of parchment paper (optional, for wrapping the buns)
- Prepare the Grill: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (about 400-450°F or 200-230°C). If you don’t have a grill, you can also make these in the oven at 400°F (200°C).
- Shape the Burger Patties: In a mixing bowl, season the ground beef with salt, pepper, and optional garlic and onion powder. Divide the meat into four equal portions and shape them into burger patties, making them slightly larger in diameter than your buns. This is because they’ll shrink as they cook.
- Assemble the Foil Packs: Lay out the four squares of aluminum foil. In the center of each square, place a portion of sliced onions and bell peppers. Top the vegetables with a burger patty. Then, add a tablespoon of ketchup or BBQ sauce on top of each patty. You can also add a slice of cheese at this stage.
- Fold and Seal: Fold the aluminum foil over the burger and vegetables, creating a packet. Seal the edges tightly to ensure no juices escape during cooking. If you’re worried about the foil sticking to the cheese or condiments, you can wrap the burger patty in a piece of parchment paper first and then wrap it in foil.
- Grill or Bake: Place the foil packs directly on the grill grates or on a baking sheet if using the oven. Grill or bake for about 20-25 minutes, turning the packs halfway through cooking, until the burgers are cooked to your desired level of doneness. The internal temperature should reach at least 160°F (71°C).
- Toast the Buns: If desired, during the last couple of minutes of cooking, open the foil packs slightly and place the buns directly on the grill grates to toast them.
- Serve: Carefully open the foil packs, add a dollop of mayonnaise, and place a dill pickle slice on each burger. Serve the burger on the toasted bun with extra ketchup or BBQ sauce, and any other desired toppings like lettuce, tomato, or bacon.
- Enjoy: Serve your delicious burger foil packs immediately, and don’t forget to use caution when opening the hot foil packs to avoid steam burns.
Feel free to customize these burger foil packs with your favorite burger toppings and condiments to make them your own!