Preparing homemade apple pie filling is a delightful and straightforward process. Here’s a simple recipe to help you make a delicious apple pie filling from scratch:
- 6-7 cups of peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples (use varieties like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or a mix of sweet and tart apples)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Prepare the apples: Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. Place them in a large bowl and drizzle the lemon juice over them to prevent browning. Toss gently to coat the apples evenly.
- Combine dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and cornstarch. Ensure the dry ingredients are well combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the apples: Pour the dry ingredient mixture over the apples and gently toss them until all the apple slices are coated with the sugar-spice mixture.
- Cook the filling: In a large saucepan or pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the coated apple slices to the pot and cook them for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. The apples should start to release their juices, and the filling will thicken.
- Adjust sweetness and spices: Taste the filling and adjust the sweetness or spices according to your preference. Add more sugar or spices if desired.
- Cool and store: Once the filling has thickened and the apples are tender but not mushy, remove the pot from the heat and let the filling cool down. If you plan to use it immediately, you can let it cool to room temperature before using it in your pie crust. If you’re not using it right away, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Now you have a delicious homemade apple pie filling ready to be used in your favorite pie crust recipe. Enjoy baking your homemade apple pie!