Sure! Here’s a delicious recipe for Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (you can use rotisserie chicken or boil and shred chicken breasts)
- 1 can (10-ounce) red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can (4-ounce) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (or a mix of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese)
- Chopped fresh cilantro and sliced green onions (for garnish, optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, 1/2 cup of sour cream, half of the chopped green chilies, ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix everything well to ensure the chicken is evenly coated with the spices and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, mix the red enchilada sauce with the remaining 1/2 cup of sour cream and the other half of the chopped green chilies.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish to prevent sticking. Now it’s time to layer the casserole:
- Start by spreading a thin layer of the enchilada sauce mixture at the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add a layer of corn tortillas to cover the sauce. You may need to cut the tortillas to fit them into the dish.
- Spoon half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle a generous layer of shredded cheese over the chicken.
- Repeat the layers, starting with the enchilada sauce, then the tortillas, the rest of the chicken mixture, and another layer of cheese.
- Finish the casserole by arranging another layer of tortillas on top. Pour any remaining sauce over the tortillas, making sure they are all coated.
- Sprinkle the top generously with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the foil, and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned on top.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and sliced green onions, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole! It’s a flavorful and comforting dish that’s perfect for sharing with family and friends.