Making Cinnamon Bread is a delightful and straightforward process. Here’s a simple recipe to guide you through the steps:
For the bread dough:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 large eggs
For the cinnamon filling:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Making the bread dough: a. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, granulated sugar, salt, and dry yeast. b. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water, and butter over low heat until the butter melts. Let it cool to lukewarm. c. Add the lukewarm milk mixture and the eggs to the dry ingredients. Mix until you have a smooth batter. d. Gradually add the remaining 1 cup of flour and knead the dough for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. e. Form the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl. Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rise for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Preparing the cinnamon filling: a. In a small bowl, mix the softened butter, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon until well combined. Set aside.
- Assembling the cinnamon bread: a. After the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Roll it out on a floured surface into a rectangular shape, about 12×16 inches. b. Spread the cinnamon filling evenly over the rolled-out dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Shaping the cinnamon bread: a. Starting from one of the long edges, carefully roll the dough into a log, like a jelly roll. b. Pinch the seam to seal it. c. With a sharp knife or a dough scraper, cut the log in half lengthwise, exposing the layers of cinnamon filling. d. Twist the two halves together, keeping the cut side upwards to showcase the filling.
- Baking the cinnamon bread: a. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). b. Place the twisted dough into a greased loaf pan. c. Cover the pan with a damp cloth and let it rise again for about 30 minutes.
- Baking: a. Bake the cinnamon bread in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Preparing the glaze: a. While the bread is baking, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until you have a smooth glaze.
- Finishing touches: a. Once the cinnamon bread is out of the oven, let it cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. b. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled bread.
Your delicious homemade Cinnamon Bread is now ready to be enjoyed! It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a tasty snack.