A crustless coconut pie is a delicious dessert that’s easy to prepare. It’s a great option for those who want the rich, creamy flavor of coconut pie without the fuss of making a traditional pie crust. Here’s a simple recipe to make a crustless coconut pie:
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional, for serving)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch pie dish or a similar-sized baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the shredded coconut and melted butter. Mix them together until the coconut is well coated with the butter.
- Spread the coconut mixture evenly on the bottom of the greased pie dish to form a crust-like layer. Press it down gently with the back of a spoon to compact it slightly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and optional nutmeg and cinnamon until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it’s just about to boil. Remove it from the heat.
- Slowly pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly as you pour. This is to temper the eggs and prevent them from curdling.
- Pour the custard mixture over the coconut crust in the pie dish.
- Place the pie dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is set. You can test the doneness by inserting a knife or toothpick into the center; if it comes out clean, the pie is done.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack. As it cools, it will set further.
- Once the pie has cooled, you can optionally refrigerate it for a few hours or overnight to enhance the flavor and texture.
- Serve slices of crustless coconut pie on their own or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for extra indulgence.
Enjoy your homemade crustless coconut pie! It’s a delightful dessert with a rich, coconutty flavor that’s sure to be a hit at any gathering.