Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls combine the classic flavors of a Philly cheesesteak with the crispy goodness of egg rolls. Here’s a simple recipe to prepare these delicious appetizers:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced steak (such as ribeye or sirloin), chopped into small pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8-10 egg roll wrappers
- 8-10 slices of provolone or American cheese
- Oil for frying (vegetable, canola, or peanut oil)
For the dipping sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and bell peppers, and cook until they become soft and slightly caramelized. Remove the onions and peppers from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chopped steak, and cook it until it’s browned and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once cooked, remove the steak from the pan and drain any excess liquid.
- To make the dipping sauce, simply mix all the dipping sauce ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined. Set the sauce aside.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper on a clean surface, with one corner facing you. Place a slice of cheese in the center of the wrapper.
- Add a spoonful of the cooked steak on top of the cheese, followed by a spoonful of the sautéed onions and bell peppers.
- To fold the egg rolls, first, fold the bottom corner of the wrapper up over the filling. Then, fold in the sides, and roll the egg roll tightly until you reach the top corner. Moisten the top corner with a little water to seal the egg roll.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 for the remaining egg rolls.
- In a deep saucepan or a fryer, heat enough oil for frying to 350°F (175°C). Carefully add the egg rolls, a few at a time, and fry until they turn golden brown and crispy, usually 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the egg rolls from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls warm with the dipping sauce you prepared earlier.
Enjoy your homemade Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls! They make a fantastic appetizer for parties, gatherings, or simply as a delicious snack.