To prepare Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread, you’ll need a few ingredients and follow these simple steps:
For the steak filling:
- 1 pound of ribeye steak, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: sliced mushrooms and jalapeños for extra flavor and spice
- 1 loaf of French bread or Italian bread, about 16-20 inches long
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or Provolone for a more authentic Philly flavor)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Optional: chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the thinly sliced ribeye steak to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until it starts to brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the steak from the skillet and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, add the thinly sliced onions and bell peppers (and any optional mushrooms or jalapeños). Cook them until they are soft and slightly caramelized. Remove them from the skillet and set them aside.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half lengthwise, creating two long halves. Place them on a baking sheet, cut-side up.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter with the minced garlic. Brush the garlic butter mixture evenly over both halves of the bread.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded mozzarella cheese over one half of the bread.
- Layer the cooked steak over the cheese on the bread.
- Spread the cooked onions and bell peppers (and any other optional toppings) over the steak.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese over the vegetables.
- Place the other half of the bread on top to form a sandwich.
- Wrap the sandwich in aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once baked, remove the sandwich from the oven and carefully unwrap it from the foil.
- Let it cool for a minute or two before slicing it into individual servings.
- Optional: Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for added color and flavor.
Enjoy your delicious Philly Cheese Steak Cheesy Bread! It’s perfect for sharing as a party appetizer or as a hearty main dish.