Certainly! Amish Onion Fritters are a delicious and crispy treat. Here’s a simple recipe to prepare them:
- Onions – 3-4 large, thinly sliced
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Cornmeal – 1/4 cup (optional for added texture)
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Egg – 1 large
- Milk – 1 cup
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Pepper – 1/4 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Cayenne pepper – a pinch (optional for a bit of heat)
- Oil – for frying
- Preparation of Batter:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal (if using), baking powder, salt, sugar, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and then add the milk to it. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Onion Preparation:
- Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- Separate the onion slices into individual rings.
- Combining Onions with Batter:
- Add the sliced onions into the batter, ensuring they are well-coated.
- Frying the Fritters:
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or deep fryer to about 365°F (185°C). If you don’t have a thermometer, you can test the oil by dropping a tiny amount of batter into it. If it sizzles and comes to the surface quickly, the oil is ready.
- Using a fork or tongs, take a few onion slices out of the batter, letting the excess drip off, and carefully place them in the hot oil.
- Fry the onion fritters until they are golden brown on both sides, which should take about 2-3 minutes on each side. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Once done, remove the fritters and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve the Amish Onion Fritters hot. They can be served with a side of ranch dressing, ketchup, or any other dipping sauce of your preference.
Enjoy your crispy and savory Amish Onion Fritters!