Shrimp Fried Rice is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that you can prepare at home. Here’s a simple recipe to guide you through the process:
- 1 cup long-grain rice (cooked and cooled, preferably day-old)
- 1/2 pound (225g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or any cooking oil of your choice)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 2 green onions (scallions), chopped (for garnish)
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice: If you don’t have day-old rice, you can cook the rice according to the package instructions and let it cool completely before using it. Cold rice works best for fried rice as it prevents it from becoming mushy.
- Prep the shrimp: Rinse the shrimp and pat them dry with paper towels. Season the shrimp with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Scramble the eggs: In a wok or a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Pour in the lightly beaten eggs and scramble them until just cooked. Remove the scrambled eggs from the wok and set them aside.
- Stir-fry the shrimp: In the same wok, add another tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the shrimp until they turn pink and are cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the wok and set them aside.
- Stir-fry the vegetables: Add chopped carrots and frozen peas to the wok and stir-fry for a few minutes until they are slightly tender. Add minced garlic and continue to stir-fry for another minute.
- Combine everything: Add the cooked rice to the wok with the vegetables. Use a spatula to break up any clumps and mix everything together.
- Season the fried rice: Drizzle soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil over the rice. Add white pepper if desired. Mix well to ensure the sauce is evenly distributed throughout the rice.
- Add the shrimp and eggs: Gently fold in the cooked shrimp and scrambled eggs into the fried rice until everything is well combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning: Taste the shrimp fried rice and add more soy sauce, salt, or pepper as per your preference.
- Garnish and serve: Turn off the heat and sprinkle chopped green onions (scallions) over the fried rice for a pop of color and added flavor. Serve the Shrimp Fried Rice hot and enjoy!
Remember that fried rice is versatile, so feel free to add other vegetables or spices to suit your taste. Enjoy your delicious homemade Shrimp Fried Rice!