Cheesy Taco Casserole is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that combines the flavors of tacos with gooey cheese in a comforting casserole. Here’s a simple recipe to guide you through the preparation:
- 1 pound ground beef (you can also use ground turkey or chicken)
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (any color you like)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (cheddar, jack, and/or mozzarella)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 package (10-12 oz) corn tortillas (cut into quarters)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: sliced black olives, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeños
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium-high heat until it’s browned and cooked through. Drain any excess grease.
- Add the taco seasoning mix to the cooked beef, along with a little water (as per the seasoning packet instructions). Stir well to coat the meat evenly with the seasoning. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, then remove the skillet from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, combine the drained diced tomatoes, black beans, frozen corn, chopped onion, and chopped bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and mix everything together.
- In another small bowl, mix the sour cream and salsa until well combined.
- Now, it’s time to layer the casserole. Start by spreading half of the taco-seasoned beef at the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Next, add a layer of quartered corn tortillas on top of the beef.
- Spread half of the sour cream and salsa mixture over the tortilla layer.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the sour cream layer.
- Now, add the second half of the taco-seasoned beef as the next layer.
- Add another layer of quartered corn tortillas on top of the beef.
- Spread the remaining sour cream and salsa mixture over the tortilla layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top.
- If you want, you can add some optional toppings like sliced black olives, chopped fresh cilantro, or sliced jalapeños for added flavor and presentation.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes to let the cheese get bubbly and slightly browned.
- Once done, take the casserole out of the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Cheesy Taco Casserole with your favorite side salad or Mexican-style rice!