Sausage gravy breakfast pizza is a delicious and hearty dish that combines the flavors of sausage gravy, eggs, cheese, and pizza crust. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to prepare it:
For the pizza crust:
- 1 pre-made pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the sausage gravy:
- 1/2 pound (about 225g) breakfast sausage (pork or turkey)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the toppings:
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- 4 large eggs
- Chopped green onions (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to the temperature specified on your pizza dough packaging or around 425°F (220°C) if you’re making homemade dough.
- Prepare the pizza crust: Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface into your desired shape. You can make it round, rectangular, or square, depending on your preference. Place the rolled-out dough on a pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Pre-bake the crust: Brush the pizza dough with olive oil and bake it in the preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes or until it starts to become golden brown. This pre-baking will ensure the crust doesn’t get soggy when you add the toppings.
- Cook the sausage: While the crust is pre-baking, cook the breakfast sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to break the sausage into small crumbles as it cooks. Cook until it’s browned and cooked through, usually about 5-7 minutes. Remove any excess grease if necessary.
- Make the sausage gravy: Sprinkle the flour over the cooked sausage and stir well to combine. Allow the flour to cook for about 1-2 minutes to eliminate the raw flour taste. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until the gravy thickens, which should take about 5-7 minutes. Season the gravy with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Assemble the pizza: Once the pizza crust is pre-baked, spread the sausage gravy evenly over the crust, leaving a border around the edges for the crust.
- Add cheese: Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese (or your preferred cheese) evenly over the sausage gravy.
- Make wells for the eggs: Using the back of a spoon, create four small wells or depressions in the cheese and sausage gravy mixture where you will place the eggs.
- Add eggs: Carefully crack one egg into each of the wells you created on the pizza.
- Return to the oven: Place the pizza back in the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your desired level of doneness, and the crust is golden brown.
- Finish and serve: Remove the pizza from the oven, garnish with chopped green onions if desired, and let it cool slightly before slicing. Serve your sausage gravy breakfast pizza hot and enjoy!
This breakfast pizza is a hearty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for brunch or a lazy weekend breakfast. You can customize it by adding other toppings like diced bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms if you like.