Mini chicken pot pies are a delicious and easy-to-make comfort food. Here’s a simple recipe for making them:
For the Filling:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, and green beans)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
For the Crust:
- 2 sheets of refrigerated pie crust or homemade pie crust
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, celery, and carrots. Cook until they start to soften, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to create a roux.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture thickens, which should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, salt, pepper, and dried thyme (if using). Stir to combine all the ingredients and simmer for a few more minutes until everything is heated through and the sauce is thickened. Remove it from heat.
- Prepare the Mini Pies:
- Roll out your pie crusts on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a round cookie cutter or a glass, cut out circles that will fit into your mini pie or muffin tins. You’ll need a bottom crust and a top crust for each mini pie.
- Line your mini pie or muffin tins with the bottom crusts.
- Fill the Pies:
- Spoon the chicken and vegetable filling into each crust, filling them nearly to the top.
- Cover the Pies:
- Place the top crust over the filling, pressing the edges of the top and bottom crusts together to seal the pies. You can crimp the edges with a fork for a decorative touch.
- Make a small slit or two on top of each pie to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Place the mini pies in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Allow the mini chicken pot pies to cool for a few minutes before serving.
These mini chicken pot pies are a tasty and convenient meal option, perfect for a quick family dinner or as appetizers for a gathering. Enjoy!