Loaded baked potato soup is a delicious and hearty comfort food. Here’s a basic recipe to get you started. You can customize it to suit your taste by adding extra toppings like bacon bits, chives, or cheese.
For the Soup:
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For Toppings (customize as desired):
- Cooked bacon bits
- Chopped chives or green onions
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapeños (for a bit of spice)
- Sliced scallions
- Prepare the Potatoes:
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. This will help them cook faster.
- Sauté Onions:
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the diced onions and sauté until they become translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Make a Roux:
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pot and let it melt. Then, stir in the flour to create a roux. Cook the roux for about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. This will help thicken the soup.
- Add Broth and Potatoes:
- Gradually pour in the chicken or vegetable broth while stirring to avoid lumps from forming. Add the diced potatoes to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Blend or Mash:
- At this point, you can choose to either use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup for a creamier texture, leaving some potato chunks, or you can use a potato masher to mash some of the potatoes while leaving others intact for a chunkier consistency.
- Add Milk and Cheese:
- Pour in the whole milk or half-and-half and stir well. Then, add the shredded cheddar cheese and continue stirring until the cheese is fully melted and the soup is creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the loaded baked potato soup into bowls. Top each bowl with your choice of toppings, such as bacon bits, chopped chives, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, or any other toppings you prefer.
- Serve the soup hot and enjoy your delicious loaded baked potato soup!
Feel free to get creative with your toppings and adjust the seasoning to suit your taste. This recipe is quite versatile, and you can make it your own by adding your favorite ingredients.