Chicken and dressing casserole is a delicious comfort food dish that’s perfect for a family dinner or holiday gathering. Here’s a basic recipe for making chicken and dressing casserole:
For the Dressing:
- 4 cups of dry cornbread crumbs (you can use store-bought or make your own)
- 2 cups of dry white bread crumbs
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 2 cups of chicken broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
For the Chicken:
- 4 cups of cooked, shredded chicken (you can use rotisserie chicken or cook chicken breasts/thighs)
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare the Dressing:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornbread crumbs and white bread crumbs.
- In a skillet, sauté the chopped celery, onion, and bell pepper in the melted butter until they become tender.
- Add the sautéed vegetables to the bread crumb mixture.
- Add the chicken broth, poultry seasoning, salt, and black pepper to the bowl. Mix everything together until it’s well combined. The mixture should be moist but not soggy. You can adjust the amount of broth as needed.
- Layer the Casserole:
- In a greased 9×13 inch baking dish, spread half of the dressing mixture evenly on the bottom.
- Next, evenly spread the cooked, shredded chicken on top of the dressing layer.
- Finally, spread the remaining dressing mixture on top of the chicken.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until it’s heated through and the edges are golden brown.
- Optional Crispy Top: If you want a crispy top, you can remove the foil during the last 10-15 minutes of baking.
- Serve: Once the casserole is cooked to your liking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish and Enjoy: You can garnish your chicken and dressing casserole with fresh parsley or additional black pepper if desired. Serve it as a hearty main dish with your favorite side dishes like green beans, mashed potatoes, or cranberry sauce.
This recipe is customizable, so feel free to add your own variations such as adding cooked mushrooms or using different types of bread for the dressing. Enjoy your homemade chicken and dressing casserole!