Snowball cookies, also known as Russian tea cakes or Mexican wedding cookies, are delicious, buttery, and nutty treats covered in powdered sugar. They’re relatively easy to make. Here’s a basic recipe to prepare snowball cookies:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for coating
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts (usually pecans or walnuts)
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the Butter and Sugar: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar until light and fluffy. You can use a hand mixer or stand mixer for this step.
- Add Vanilla Extract: Mix in the vanilla extract until it’s well combined with the butter and sugar.
- Add Flour and Salt: Gradually add the flour and salt to the mixture. Mix until the dough comes together. If you’re using a stand mixer, switch to a low speed or mix by hand to avoid overmixing.
- Fold in Chopped Nuts: Gently fold in the finely chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts) into the dough. Make sure the nuts are evenly distributed.
- Shape the Dough: Take small portions of the dough and roll them into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. Place them on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a little space between each cookie.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are set but not browned. They should still be pale in color.
- Cool Slightly: Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet.
- Coat in Powdered Sugar: While the cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar until they’re well coated. You can do this by placing some powdered sugar in a shallow bowl and gently rolling the cookies in it.
- Cool Completely: Place the sugar-coated cookies on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, you can roll them in powdered sugar once more for a thicker coating if desired.
- Serve: Snowball cookies are best when they’ve had a chance to cool and the powdered sugar has set. Enjoy!
These cookies are a delightful treat and perfect for holiday gatherings or any time you’re in the mood for a sweet, nutty treat.