Pico de Gallo is a fresh and zesty Mexican salsa made with simple ingredients. It’s a versatile condiment that pairs well with tortilla chips, tacos, grilled meats, and more. Here’s how to prepare it:
- 4-5 ripe Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (you can use red, white, or yellow onion)
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (adjust to your desired level of spiciness)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1-2 limes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ground cumin for extra flavor
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber for a refreshing twist
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers (red, green, or yellow) for added color and flavor
- Avocado cubes for creaminess
- Prepare the Tomatoes: Wash and dice the Roma tomatoes. If the tomatoes are very juicy, you can remove some of the seeds and excess liquid to prevent the Pico de Gallo from becoming too watery. You can do this by gently squeezing the diced tomatoes or using a spoon to scoop out the seeds and juice.
- Chop the Onion: Finely chop the onion. You can soak the chopped onion in cold water for about 5 minutes and then drain to reduce its sharpness if desired.
- Prepare the Jalapeños: Wear gloves while handling jalapeño peppers, as they can be quite spicy, and their oils can irritate your skin. Remove the seeds and membranes if you want a milder Pico de Gallo, or leave them in for extra heat. Finely chop the jalapeños.
- Chop the Cilantro: Wash and chop the fresh cilantro leaves and stems.
- Combine Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped jalapeños, minced garlic, and chopped cilantro. If you’re adding any optional ingredients like cucumber or bell peppers, include them now.
- Season: Squeeze the juice of 1-2 limes over the mixture, depending on your taste preference. Start with one lime and add more if needed. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. If you like a smoky flavor, add a pinch of ground cumin.
- Mix Well: Gently toss all the ingredients together until everything is evenly combined.
- Chill and Serve: Let the Pico de Gallo chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together. Serve with tortilla chips, tacos, grilled meats, or as a topping for various dishes.
Pico de Gallo is best when freshly made, but it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Enjoy your homemade Pico de Gallo!