Homemade meatloaf is a classic comfort food dish that’s easy to prepare and always delicious. Here’s a basic recipe to get you started:
For the meatloaf:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (you can also use a mixture of ground beef and ground pork)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper (green or red)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for a bit of heat)
For the glaze:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare the Meat Mixture: In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, milk, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, minced garlic, 1/4 cup ketchup, barbecue sauce, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt, black pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme, paprika, and cayenne pepper (if using). Mix everything together until well combined. You can use your hands or a spoon to mix, but be careful not to overmix, as this can make the meatloaf tough.
- Shape the Meatloaf: Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place it in a greased or lined baking dish. You can shape it directly in the dish or on a separate surface and then transfer it to the dish.
- Prepare the Glaze: In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. This will be the glaze for your meatloaf.
- Glaze the Meatloaf: Spread the glaze mixture evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake: Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf reaches 160°F (71°C). If you don’t have a meat thermometer, you can check for doneness by cutting into the center of the meatloaf; the juices should run clear, and there should be no pink meat.
- Rest and Serve: Once the meatloaf is done, remove it from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. This will help the juices redistribute and make for a juicier meatloaf.
- Serve: Slice the meatloaf and serve it with your favorite sides, such as mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.
Enjoy your homemade meatloaf! You can customize this recipe by adding vegetables or different seasonings to suit your taste.