Amish Cinnamon Bread is a sweet, moist, and delicious treat that’s perfect for breakfast or as a snack. It’s known for its unique, tangy flavor. Here’s how to prepare it:
For the Bread:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
For the Cinnamon-Sugar Swirl:
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans or four 7.5×3.5-inch mini loaf pans.
- Prepare the Batter: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and 2 cups of granulated sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. This can take several minutes.
- Add Eggs: Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour and baking soda.
- Alternate Mixing: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Prepare Cinnamon-Sugar Swirl: In a small bowl, mix the 2/3 cup of granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon for the cinnamon-sugar swirl.
- Layer the Batter: Divide half of the batter evenly between the prepared loaf pans. Sprinkle about two-thirds of the cinnamon-sugar swirl mixture over the batter in the pans.
- Add the Rest of the Batter: Divide the remaining batter evenly over the cinnamon-sugar layer. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar swirl mixture on top.
- Create the Topping: In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Drizzle this mixture over the batter in the pans.
- Swirl the Batter: Use a knife or a skewer to gently swirl the batter to create a marbled effect.
- Bake: Place the pans in the preheated oven and bake for 45-55 minutes (for standard loaf pans) or 30-40 minutes (for mini loaf pans) or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and Serve: Allow the bread to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then remove it from the pans and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Enjoy your homemade Amish Cinnamon Bread! It’s best served warm with a pat of butter or cream cheese.