Certainly! Here’s a simple recipe for Crockpot White Bean and Ham Soup:
- 1 lb (about 2 cups) dried white beans (great northern beans or navy beans), soaked overnight and drained
- 1 lb cooked ham, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen or fresh spinach, chopped (optional)
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Beans: Rinse the soaked beans under cold water and drain.
- Crockpot Setup: Place the drained beans, diced ham, diced onion, diced carrots, diced celery, and minced garlic in the crockpot.
- Seasonings: Add the dried thyme, dried rosemary, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the crockpot.
- Broth: Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth. Make sure the liquid covers all the ingredients by about an inch.
- Cooking: Cover the crockpot and set it to cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or until the beans are tender. You can also cook on high heat for about 3 to 4 hours.
- Adjusting Seasoning: Once the beans are tender, taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed. Remember, the ham is already salty, so be cautious with the additional salt.
- Adding Spinach: If using spinach, stir in the chopped spinach during the last 15 to 20 minutes of cooking, just until wilted.
- Removing Bay Leaf: Before serving, don’t forget to remove the bay leaf from the soup.
- Serving: Ladle the hot soup into bowls. If desired, top with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh parsley for added flavor and presentation.
- Enjoy: Serve the Crockpot White Bean and Ham Soup with crusty bread or your favorite side dish.
Remember, cooking times can vary based on your specific crockpot model, so be sure to check the beans for tenderness before considering the soup fully cooked. This hearty and comforting soup is perfect for a chilly day or when you’re looking for a satisfying meal.