To prepare Southern Fried Salmon Patties, you’ll need the following ingredients and follow these steps:
- 1 pound (about 450 grams) fresh salmon fillets, cooked and flaked (you can also use canned salmon)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (green or red)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (panko or regular)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- Cook the salmon: You can grill, bake, or pan-fry the salmon until it’s fully cooked. Allow it to cool slightly, then remove the skin and bones (if any) and flake the salmon into small pieces using a fork.
- Prepare the mixture: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flaked salmon, chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, mayonnaise, egg, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, parsley, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Mix everything thoroughly until well combined.
- Add breadcrumbs: Gradually add the breadcrumbs to the salmon mixture until it reaches a consistency that allows you to shape the patties without being too sticky. You may need more or less than the suggested amount of breadcrumbs.
- Form the patties: Divide the mixture into equal portions and shape them into round patties, about 3 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick. Place the patties on a plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Chill the patties: Cover the patties with plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 30 minutes. Chilling will help the patties firm up and hold their shape during frying.
- Fry the patties: In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the salmon patties in the skillet, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook them for about 3-4 minutes per side or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Drain excess oil: After frying, place the patties on a plate lined with paper towels to remove any excess oil.
- Serve: Southern Fried Salmon Patties are best served hot. You can serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, such as tartar sauce, lemon wedges, or a remoulade.
Enjoy your delicious Southern Fried Salmon Patties!