Making Banana Bread in a jar is a delightful and unique way to enjoy this classic treat. The recipe below will guide you through the steps to prepare delicious Banana Bread that can be baked directly in small, individual-sized jars. This recipe makes approximately 4 servings.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional, such as walnuts or pecans)
- 4 small glass jars (about 8 ounces each) – make sure they are oven-safe
- Cooking spray or butter for greasing jars
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease the inside of each glass jar with cooking spray or butter. This will prevent the banana bread from sticking to the sides.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, sugar, vegetable oil (or melted butter), egg, and vanilla extract. Mix well until everything is evenly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg.
- Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are fine. If you want, you can fold in the chopped nuts at this stage for added texture and flavor.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared glass jars, filling each one no more than two-thirds full. This allows room for the bread to rise during baking.
- Place the filled jars on a baking sheet or in a baking dish to make it easier to handle them in and out of the oven.
- Bake the banana bread in the preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Baking time may vary depending on your oven and the size of the jars, so keep an eye on them to avoid over-baking.
- Once done, remove the jars from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. The jars will be hot, so handle them carefully.
- Optionally, you can screw on the lids to the jars once they are cooled, and they’ll be perfect for gifting or storage.
Enjoy your delicious Banana Bread in a jar! It’s a great treat for breakfast, snack time, or even as a thoughtful gift for someone special.