Potato fritters are a delicious and simple dish to prepare. Here’s a basic recipe to make potato fritters:
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel and grate the potatoes: Wash the potatoes thoroughly and peel them. Using a grater, grate the potatoes into a large bowl. Alternatively, you can use a food processor with a grating attachment.
- Remove excess moisture: Place the grated potatoes in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Squeeze the cloth to remove as much moisture from the potatoes as possible. This will help the fritters become crispy.
- Combine the ingredients: In the bowl with the grated potatoes, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, all-purpose flour, beaten egg, baking powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Heat the oil: In a large frying pan or skillet, add enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom, about 1/4 inch deep. Heat the oil over medium heat until it’s hot but not smoking. To check if the oil is ready, drop a small amount of the potato mixture into the oil – if it sizzles and cooks, the oil is ready.
- Fry the fritters: Take a spoonful of the potato mixture and carefully drop it into the hot oil, shaping it into a small round fritter. You can fry several fritters at a time, but make sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the fritters for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Drain excess oil: Once the fritters are done, use a slotted spoon to remove them from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Repeat the process: Continue frying the remaining potato mixture in batches until it’s all used up.
- Serve: Potato fritters are best served hot and can be enjoyed as a snack, side dish, or even as a main course with a dipping sauce of your choice.
Enjoy your homemade potato fritters! You can also get creative and add herbs or spices to the mixture for extra flavor variation.