Chicken Noodle Soup is a comforting and delicious dish that’s relatively easy to prepare. Here’s a simple recipe to guide you through the process:
- 1 lb (450g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 8 cups (2 liters) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups (200g) uncooked egg noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the diced chicken to the pot and cook until it’s lightly browned on all sides.
- Pour in the chicken broth and water, then add the sliced carrots, celery, dried thyme, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked, and the vegetables are tender.
- While the soup is simmering, cook the egg noodles separately according to the package instructions. Make sure not to overcook them, as they will continue to soften when added to the hot soup later.
- When the soup is done simmering, remove the bay leaves and taste for seasoning. Adjust with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Add the cooked egg noodles to the pot and stir everything together. Let the soup cook for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- If desired, garnish the Chicken Noodle Soup with fresh parsley for some added color and flavor.
- Serve hot and enjoy your comforting bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup!
Note: Feel free to customize the recipe according to your preferences. You can add other vegetables like peas or corn, or even incorporate some herbs like parsley, dill, or rosemary for extra flavor. The beauty of this recipe is its adaptability to suit your taste.