Preparing a classic apple pie is a delightful and timeless dessert. Below is a step-by-step recipe to guide you through the process:
- 2 store-bought or homemade pie crusts (one for the bottom and one for the top)
- 6 cups of thinly sliced and peeled apples (such as Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or a mix of varieties)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Optional: a sprinkle of granulated sugar for topping
- Preheat your oven: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven to ensure even baking.
- Prepare the apples: Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples. Place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the filling: In the bowl with the apples, add granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice. Toss the apples until they are evenly coated with the sugar and spice mixture.
- Roll out the pie crust: On a lightly floured surface, roll out one pie crust to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Carefully transfer the crust to the pie dish and gently press it into the bottom and sides.
- Add the apple filling: Pour the apple filling into the pie crust, spreading it out evenly. Dot the top of the filling with the small pieces of butter.
- Roll out the top crust: Roll out the second pie crust to cover the top of the pie. You can create a lattice pattern or simply cover the whole pie with the crust, making sure to cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Seal the edges: Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges of the pie dish. Press the edges of the top and bottom crusts together and crimp them using your fingers or a fork to create a decorative edge.
- Apply egg wash: Brush the top crust with the beaten egg. This will give your pie a beautiful golden brown color as it bakes. You can also sprinkle a little granulated sugar on top for added sweetness and a bit of crunch.
- Bake the pie: Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips, and then put it in the preheated oven. Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. If the edges of the crust start to brown too quickly, you can cover them with foil.
- Cool and serve: Once the pie is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before serving. This allows the filling to set properly.
Enjoy your classic apple pie on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra treat!