Cornbread dressing is a classic Southern side dish that’s perfect for holidays and special occasions. Here’s a basic recipe to get you started. Feel free to customize it to your liking:
For the Cornbread:
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
For the Dressing:
- 1 batch of cornbread (about 8 cups when crumbled)
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Make the Cornbread: a. Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish or a cast-iron skillet. b. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. c. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and vegetable oil. d. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. e. Pour the cornbread batter into the prepared dish or skillet. f. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Set the cornbread aside to cool.
2. Prepare the Dressing: a. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). b. Crumble the cooled cornbread into a large mixing bowl. c. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. d. Add the chopped celery, onion, and green bell pepper to the skillet. Cook until the vegetables are soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. e. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant. f. Pour the cooked vegetable mixture over the crumbled cornbread and mix well. g. Add the dried sage and thyme to the mixture and stir to combine. h. Gradually add the chicken or vegetable broth to the mixture, stirring as you go, until you achieve the desired level of moisture. You may not need all the broth, so use your judgment. i. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bake the Dressing: a. Transfer the dressing mixture to a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. b. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. c. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the dressing is heated through. d. If desired, garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Enjoy your homemade cornbread dressing as a delicious side dish to complement your holiday meals or any special occasion.