Carolina Pecan Bars are a delightful Southern treat that combines the richness of pecans with a sweet and gooey filling. Here’s a recipe for making these delicious bars:
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
For the Pecan Filling:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking dish or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Prepare the Crust:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed unsalted butter to the dry ingredients.
- Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to blend the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the Crust: Place the crust in the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until it’s lightly golden brown. Remove it from the oven and set it aside.
- Prepare the Pecan Filling:
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until well combined.
- Add the light corn syrup, granulated sugar, melted butter, and vanilla extract to the beaten eggs. Mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Pour the Filling: Pour the pecan filling evenly over the baked crust.
- Bake Again: Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes or until the filling is set and the top is golden brown. You can use a toothpick or knife to test the center; it should come out clean when the bars are done.
- Cool and Serve:
- Allow the Carolina Pecan Bars to cool completely in the baking dish.
- Once cooled, you can lift the bars out using the parchment paper if you lined the dish.
- Cut them into squares or bars.
- Enjoy: Serve these delicious Carolina Pecan Bars as a dessert or sweet treat. They are perfect for special occasions, gatherings, or simply indulging yourself.
These bars are rich and sweet, so you may want to cut them into smaller portions.