Sure, here’s a basic recipe for Chicken Noodle Soup:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups egg noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Prepare the Chicken: Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat a bit of oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook until they are browned on both sides and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside to cool.
- Sauté Vegetables: In the same pot, add a bit more oil if needed. Add the chopped onion, sliced carrots, and sliced celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add Broth and Herbs: Pour in the chicken broth and add the dried thyme, dried rosemary, and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Shred the Chicken: While the soup is simmering, shred the cooled chicken breasts using two forks or your hands.
- Add Noodles: Increase the heat to medium and add the shredded chicken back into the pot. Also, add the egg noodles. Let the soup simmer for another 8-10 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
- Season and Serve: Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper as needed. Remember, you can always add more seasoning gradually and taste as you go. Once the noodles are cooked and the flavors are well balanced, remove the bay leaf.
- Garnish and Serve: Ladle the chicken noodle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped fresh parsley. This adds a nice burst of color and fresh flavor to the soup.
- Enjoy: Serve the soup hot and enjoy the comforting flavors of homemade chicken noodle soup!
Feel free to adjust the recipe according to your taste preferences. You can add more vegetables, use different herbs, or even incorporate other ingredients like peas or corn. This basic recipe serves as a great starting point for your own delicious chicken noodle soup creation.