Italian Crescent Casserole is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that combines Italian flavors with the convenience of a crescent roll crust. Here’s a simple recipe to prepare it:
- 1 lb (450g) ground beef or Italian sausage (you can also use a mix of both)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cans (8 oz each) refrigerated crescent roll dough
- Preheat your oven to the temperature specified on the crescent roll package (usually 375°F or 190°C).
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef or Italian sausage over medium-high heat until browned and fully cooked. If using sausage, remove the casings before cooking. Break the meat into crumbles as it cooks. Drain any excess grease if necessary.
- Add the marinara sauce, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to the cooked meat. Stir well to combine and let it simmer for a couple of minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Unroll one can of crescent roll dough and press it into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish to form the bottom crust. Make sure to seal any perforations in the dough.
- Spread the meat mixture evenly over the crescent roll crust in the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese and half of the shredded mozzarella cheese. Spread this cheese mixture over the meat layer in the baking dish.
- Unroll the second can of crescent roll dough and place it on top of the cheese layer, gently pressing the edges to seal it with the bottom crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the crescent roll crust is golden brown, and the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Your Italian Crescent Casserole is ready to enjoy! Serve it with a side salad or some garlic bread for a complete Italian-inspired meal. Enjoy!