To prepare Vanilla Custard Cream Squares, you’ll need a few basic ingredients and some time to let the custard set. Here’s a step-by-step recipe to guide you:
For the base:
- 1 ½ cups of crushed digestive biscuits (graham crackers or shortbread cookies can also be used)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
For the custard filling:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
For the topping:
- Whipped cream or powdered sugar (optional)
- Prepare the base:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the crushed digestive biscuits and melted butter until all the crumbs are evenly coated.
- Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of a square baking dish or a rectangular dish. The base should be compact and even.
- Place the baking dish in the refrigerator while you prepare the custard filling.
- Prepare the custard filling:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it’s steaming, but not boiling. Keep an eye on it to avoid scorching.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch until well combined.
- Add the egg yolks to the sugar and cornstarch mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly pour a small amount of the hot milk into the egg mixture while whisking constantly. This step is called “tempering” and helps prevent the eggs from curdling.
- Gradually pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining hot milk while stirring continuously.
- Cook the custard filling:
- Cook the custard mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk or a spatula.
- The custard will begin to thicken after a few minutes. Continue cooking and stirring until it reaches a thick, pudding-like consistency. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Add vanilla and butter:
- Once the custard has thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and butter until the butter is fully melted and incorporated into the custard.
- Assemble the Vanilla Custard Cream Squares:
- Take the baking dish with the chilled biscuit base from the refrigerator.
- Pour the prepared custard filling over the base, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
- Chill and set:
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours, or until the custard sets completely.
- Once the Vanilla Custard Cream Squares are set, you can cut them into squares or rectangles.
- Optionally, you can add a dollop of whipped cream on top of each square or dust them with powdered sugar for an extra touch.
Enjoy your delicious Vanilla Custard Cream Squares!
Note: You can store any leftovers in the refrigerator for a day or two, but they are best enjoyed fresh.