Sliced baked potatoes are a delicious and simple side dish that you can prepare with ease. Here’s a basic recipe to guide you through the process:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary (optional)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). This high temperature will help the potatoes become crispy on the outside while remaining soft on the inside.
- Wash and Slice the Potatoes: Wash the potatoes thoroughly and pat them dry with a clean towel. Leave the skin on for added texture and flavor. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the potatoes into thin, even slices, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Be careful not to slice all the way through; leave a small portion of the potato intact at the bottom so that the slices remain connected.
- Prepare the Seasoning: In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, minced garlic (if using), salt, pepper, paprika (if using), and dried thyme or rosemary (if using).
- Brush the Potatoes: Place the sliced potatoes on a baking sheet or in a baking dish. Brush both sides of the potatoes with the olive oil mixture, making sure to get the seasoning in between the slices.
- Bake the Potatoes: Place the baking sheet or dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the edges are crispy and golden brown.
- Optional Cheesy Variation: If you want to make cheesy sliced baked potatoes, take the potatoes out of the oven a few minutes before they’re fully cooked. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese between the slices, then return them to the oven for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese melts and turns slightly golden.
- Garnish: Once the potatoes are fully cooked, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly. If desired, sprinkle chopped fresh parsley on top for added freshness and color.
- Serve and Enjoy: Transfer the sliced baked potatoes to a serving platter and serve them while they’re still warm. They make a delicious side dish for various main courses and are sure to be a hit at any meal.
Feel free to adjust the seasoning and add your favorite herbs or spices to suit your taste. Enjoy your homemade sliced baked potatoes!