Pecan cream pie is a delicious dessert that combines the richness of pecans with a smooth, creamy filling. Below is a classic recipe to prepare Pecan Cream Pie:
Ingredients: For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the topping:
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Additional chopped pecans for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare the crust:
- In a food processor, combine the all-purpose flour, chilled butter cubes, and salt. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the dough comes together.
- Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Press the crust into the dish, trim the excess dough, and crimp the edges.
- Blind bake the crust:
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill it with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake the crust for about 15 minutes, then remove the parchment paper and weights, and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Toast the pecans:
- Spread the chopped pecans on a baking sheet and toast them in the preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes or until fragrant. Keep an eye on them to avoid burning. Once toasted, set them aside.
- Prepare the filling:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, and half of the granulated sugar. Heat over medium heat until it starts to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar and cornstarch. Add the egg yolks and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly pour about half of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Then, pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining cream mixture.
- Cook the filling over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, toasted pecans, and unsalted butter until well combined.
- Assemble the pie:
- Pour the pecan filling into the cooled pie crust, spreading it out evenly.
- Chill the pie:
- Cover the pie with plastic wrap, making sure it touches the surface of the filling to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate the pie for at least 4 hours or until it’s completely chilled and set.
- Add the topping:
- Just before serving, spread whipped cream over the top of the pie.
- Garnish with additional chopped pecans if desired.
Now your Pecan Cream Pie is ready to be enjoyed! It’s a fantastic dessert for holidays or any special occasion.