Fried apple pies are a delicious and comforting treat that can be enjoyed as a dessert or snack. Here’s a simple recipe to prepare them:
For the filling:
- 2 cups of peeled, cored, and chopped apples (about 2 medium-sized apples)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the pastry:
- 2 9-inch pie crusts (store-bought or homemade)
- All-purpose flour (for dusting)
- Vegetable oil (enough for deep frying)
- 1 beaten egg (for egg wash)
- Powdered sugar
- Prepare the apple filling:
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour to the saucepan.
- Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, until the apples become tender and the filling thickens, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Roll out the pie crusts:
- Dust your work surface with flour and roll out each pie crust to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut out the pie dough circles:
- Use a round cutter (approximately 4-5 inches in diameter) to cut out circles from the rolled-out dough. You can adjust the size of the circles based on your preference.
- Fill the dough circles:
- Place about 1-2 tablespoons of the cooled apple filling onto one half of each dough circle, leaving a border around the edge.
- Seal and crimp the pies:
- Fold the other half of the dough circle over the filling to form a half-moon shape.
- Use a fork to press down along the edges to seal the pies. You can also use your fingers to crimp the edges for a decorative touch.
- Heat the oil:
- In a deep, heavy-bottomed pot, heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 350-375°F (175-190°C). Use a deep-fry thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Fry the apple pies:
- Carefully add the sealed pies to the hot oil, a few at a time, depending on the size of your pot.
- Fry them for 2-3 minutes per side, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to flip and remove the pies from the oil.
- Drain and cool:
- Place the fried pies on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil. Let them cool slightly.
- Optional: Dust with powdered sugar:
- Before serving, you can dust the fried apple pies with powdered sugar for a sweet finish.
Serve and enjoy:
Serve your fried apple pies warm, and enjoy the delicious, crispy, and sweet treat!
These fried apple pies are best enjoyed fresh, but they can also be reheated in the oven if you have leftovers.