Old Fashioned Potato Candy is a classic and unique candy recipe that’s easy to make. It doesn’t actually contain any potatoes, but mashed potatoes are used to create a soft, creamy texture. Here’s how to prepare it:
- 1/4 cup mashed potatoes (plain, no butter or seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- Optional: 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans work well)
- Granulated sugar for rolling
- Prepare the Mashed Potatoes:
- Start by boiling or steaming a small potato until it’s soft and fully cooked. You’ll only need about 1/4 cup of mashed potato for this recipe. Mash it well and let it cool to room temperature.
- Mix the Potato Candy Base:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir until the mixture is well combined.
- Gradually Add Powdered Sugar:
- Begin adding the powdered sugar to the potato mixture, about 1 cup at a time. Stir well after each addition. Continue adding and mixing until the mixture becomes too thick to stir easily.
- Knead the Dough:
- Once the mixture becomes very thick and difficult to stir, turn it out onto a clean surface lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Knead the dough, incorporating more powdered sugar as needed, until it becomes a soft and smooth ball of dough. You might not need to use all the powdered sugar.
- Roll Out the Dough:
- Roll the dough into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. You can use a rolling pin, and make sure to dust it and the surface with powdered sugar to prevent sticking.
- Spread Peanut Butter:
- Spread the smooth peanut butter evenly over the rolled-out candy dough.
- Optional: Add Nuts:
- If you want to include nuts, sprinkle finely chopped nuts evenly over the peanut butter.
- Roll Up the Candy:
- Carefully roll up the candy dough along the long edge, similar to how you’d roll cinnamon rolls. Be gentle to avoid cracking.
- Chill and Slice:
- Wrap the candy roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for a few hours or until it’s firm. This will make it easier to slice.
- Slice and Serve:
- Unwrap the candy roll and use a sharp knife to slice it into individual candy pieces, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Your Old Fashioned Potato Candy is ready to enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This unique candy has a sweet, creamy texture with a hint of peanut butter, making it a delightful treat for those with a sweet tooth.