No-Fuss Pie Crust is a simple and versatile pastry that you can use for both sweet and savory pies. The key to making it “no-fuss” is to handle the dough gently and avoid overworking it. Here’s a basic recipe for a no-fuss pie crust:
For a single 9-inch pie crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar (for sweet pies)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
For a double-crust pie, just double the ingredients.
- Chill Your Ingredients: It’s important to start with cold ingredients. Cut the butter into small cubes and place it in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes before using. Measure out the water and add a couple of ice cubes to keep it cold.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and sugar (if making a sweet pie).
- Cut in the Butter: Add the cold cubed butter to the dry ingredients. You can use a pastry cutter, two knives, or even your fingers to work the butter into the flour mixture. Keep working the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. The butter should be in pea-sized pieces.
- Add Ice Water: Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture. Use a fork or your hands to gently mix the dough until it starts coming together. If the dough is too dry, add an additional tablespoon of ice water and mix again. Be careful not to overmix; the dough should be just moist enough to hold together.
- Form the Dough: Turn the dough out onto a clean, floured surface. Gently gather the dough and form it into a ball. If you’re making a double-crust pie, divide the dough into two portions, one slightly larger than the other (for the bottom and top crust).
- Chill the Dough: Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This chilling step helps the dough relax and makes it easier to roll out.
- Roll out the Dough: After the dough has chilled, roll it out on a floured surface into a circle that’s about 12 inches in diameter for a 9-inch pie pan.
- Transfer to Pie Pan: Carefully lift the rolled-out dough and place it in your pie pan. Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges with scissors or a knife and crimp the edges as desired.
- For Pre-baking: If your pie recipe calls for a pre-baked crust, prick the bottom with a fork, line it with parchment paper, fill it with pie weights or dried beans, and bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 15 minutes. Then remove the weights and parchment paper and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- For Filling: If your pie recipe calls for a pre-baked crust, follow the recipe instructions for filling and baking your pie.
Enjoy your homemade, no-fuss pie crust in your favorite pie recipes!