Homemade Potato Soup is a comforting and delicious dish that’s perfect for a cozy meal. Below is a classic recipe for Best Homemade Potato Soup:
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, chopped chives or green onions, crispy bacon, sour cream
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until they become translucent and aromatic.
- Stir in the flour and cook for about 1-2 minutes to create a roux. This will help thicken the soup.
- Slowly pour in the chicken or vegetable broth while stirring continuously to avoid lumps from forming. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the diced potatoes, dried thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and cook until the potatoes are tender, typically around 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup and use a potato masher or immersion blender to partially blend the soup. This will create a creamier texture while still leaving some potato chunks.
- Stir in the whole milk or heavy cream. Simmer the soup for an additional 5-10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the Best Homemade Potato Soup hot with optional toppings like shredded cheese, chopped chives or green onions, crispy bacon, and a dollop of sour cream.
This recipe can be easily customized to suit your preferences. You can add other vegetables like carrots, celery, or corn for extra flavor and texture. Enjoy your warm and hearty potato soup!