Making fudge is a delicious and indulgent treat. Below is a classic chocolate fudge recipe that you can follow. It’s important to read through the entire recipe before starting, and always remember to exercise caution when working with hot sugar mixtures.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare the Pan: Grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan with butter or line it with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- Combine Ingredients: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, heavy cream, butter, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Heat and Stir: Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir the mixture continuously until the sugar has completely dissolved and the ingredients are well combined.
- Boil: Once the mixture is combined, increase the heat to medium-high and bring it to a boil. Stir frequently to prevent sticking and burning.
- Use a Candy Thermometer: Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the saucepan to monitor the temperature. Cook the mixture until it reaches the soft ball stage, which is approximately 235-240°F (113-116°C). This stage is essential for achieving the right fudge texture.
- Remove from Heat: Once the mixture has reached the soft ball stage, remove the saucepan from the heat immediately.
- Add Vanilla: Add the vanilla extract to the hot mixture, but do not stir it in just yet.
- Cool and Beat: Allow the fudge mixture to cool to around 110°F (43°C). You can place the saucepan in a cold water bath to speed up the cooling process. Once it has cooled, beat the mixture vigorously with a wooden spoon until it thickens and starts to lose its gloss.
- Pour into Pan: Quickly pour the fudge into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- Let It Set: Allow the fudge to cool at room temperature until it sets completely, which usually takes a few hours.
- Cut and Serve: Once the fudge has set, remove it from the pan and cut it into small squares. Enjoy your homemade fudge!
Storage: Store the fudge in an airtight container at room temperature. It should last for about a week.
Feel free to experiment with different flavors by adding nuts, marshmallows, or other mix-ins. Fudge makes for a wonderful homemade gift or a delightful treat for family and friends.