Candied pecans are a delicious treat that can be enjoyed on their own or used as a topping for various dishes like salads, desserts, or even as a snack. Here’s a simple recipe to prepare candied pecans:
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or other spices of your choice (e.g., nutmeg, pumpkin spice)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, water, vanilla extract, salt, and optional spices. Stir the mixture over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Add the pecan halves to the saucepan and stir to coat them evenly with the sugar syrup. Continue cooking the pecans in the syrup for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. The syrup will thicken slightly.
- Using a slotted spoon or a fork, transfer the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet, arranging them in a single layer. Try to separate any pecans that may have clumped together.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake the pecans for about 15-20 minutes, or until they become golden brown and fragrant. Stir the pecans once or twice during the baking process to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the candied pecans cool completely on the sheet. As they cool, they will become crispy.
- Once the pecans have cooled down, you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Enjoy them as a snack or use them as a topping for salads, desserts, or any dish you prefer.
Note: Keep a close eye on the pecans while baking, as they can burn quickly. Adjust the baking time accordingly to achieve the desired level of crunchiness.
That’s it! You now have a batch of delicious candied pecans ready to enjoy.