Snowballs are a delightful sweet treat that can be enjoyed during the winter season or as a refreshing dessert throughout the year. Here’s a simple recipe to prepare delicious snowball cookies:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for coating
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts (such as pecans or walnuts)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. You can use an electric mixer or do this by hand.
- Add the vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, chopped nuts, and a pinch of salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring well after each addition, until a soft dough forms.
- Take a small amount of dough (about 1 tablespoon) and roll it into a ball between your palms. Place the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake the snowballs in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until they are set and slightly golden on the bottom. Do not let them brown too much.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the sheet.
- While the cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar until coated completely. You can do this by placing some powdered sugar in a shallow bowl and gently rolling each cookie until it’s fully coated.
- Transfer the coated snowballs to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies have cooled, you can roll them in powdered sugar once again to create a thicker, snowy coating.
- Snowballs are now ready to be served! Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
Enjoy these delightful snowball cookies with a cup of hot cocoa or your favorite warm beverage. They make a lovely addition to holiday cookie platters or any sweet occasion.