Lasagna soup is a delicious and comforting dish that brings all the flavors of traditional lasagna in a convenient one-bowl format. Here’s a recipe to help you prepare lasagna soup:
- 1 pound ground beef (or substitute with ground turkey or Italian sausage)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups broken lasagna noodles (around 8 lasagna noodles)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned. If using Italian sausage, remove it from the casing and cook it with the onion and garlic in the next step.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the pot with the cooked ground beef. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in the beef or vegetable broth, diced tomatoes (with their juices), tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir well to combine.
- Add the dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Stir again to distribute the seasonings.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- While the soup is simmering, break the lasagna noodles into small pieces, approximately 1-2 inches long.
- Add the broken lasagna noodles to the pot and cook until they are tender, following the package instructions for cooking time.
- Once the noodles are cooked, remove the pot from the heat. Check the soup’s seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Ladle the soup into individual serving bowls. Top each bowl with a generous amount of shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Optional: If you have an oven-safe bowl, you can place the bowls under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese melts and becomes golden and bubbly.
- Garnish each bowl with fresh basil or parsley before serving.
Now you can enjoy a comforting and delicious bowl of lasagna soup!