To prepare Chorizo Spaghetti Lasagna Sauce, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound cooked spaghetti
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Now let’s move on to the preparation steps:
- Heat a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the chorizo sausage and cook, breaking it up into small pieces with a spoon, until browned and cooked through. Remove the cooked sausage from the skillet and set it aside, leaving any rendered fat in the pan.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and diced red bell pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables have softened.
- Return the cooked chorizo sausage to the skillet with the vegetables. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, dried basil, and red pepper flakes (if using). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for about 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. If the sauce becomes too thick, you can add a little water or chicken broth to thin it out.
- While the sauce is simmering, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Once the sauce is ready, stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil leaves.
- In a 9×13-inch baking dish, spread a thin layer of the chorizo spaghetti sauce on the bottom. Layer half of the cooked spaghetti on top of the sauce, followed by half of the remaining sauce. Sprinkle half of the shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining spaghetti, sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Then, remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the Chorizo Spaghetti Lasagna from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with additional fresh basil leaves, if desired.
Now your Chorizo Spaghetti Lasagna Sauce is ready to be enjoyed!