Here’s a recipe for Outback Steakhouse’s Walkabout Onion Soup:
- 4 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 slices French bread
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until they are caramelized and golden brown, stirring occasionally. This process may take around 30-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the caramelized onions and stir well to coat them evenly. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the beef broth, chicken broth, water, and dry sherry. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and dried thyme. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 20 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- While the soup is simmering, preheat your oven’s broiler. Arrange the slices of French bread on a baking sheet and toast them under the broiler until they become crispy and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Ladle the soup into individual oven-safe bowls or crocks, leaving some space at the top.
- Place a slice of toasted French bread on top of each bowl of soup. Sprinkle a generous amount of Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese over the bread slices.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler again and place the filled bowls on a baking sheet. Broil the soup bowls for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and golden brown.
- Carefully remove the bowls from the oven using oven mitts, as they will be hot. Let them cool for a minute or two before serving.
Your Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Onion Soup is now ready to be enjoyed! Serve it hot as a delicious appetizer or as a comforting main course.