Lady Bird Johnson’s Lemon Cake is a classic recipe known for its refreshing citrus flavor. Here’s how you can prepare it:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 eggs
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the softened butter to the dry ingredients. Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer, beat on low speed until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and eggs until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix on low speed until the batter is smooth and well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and place it on a wire rack. While it’s still warm, poke several holes on the surface of the cake using a toothpick or a fork.
- Drizzle the glaze evenly over the warm cake, allowing it to soak into the holes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan before serving.
- Once the cake has cooled, you can cut it into slices and serve.
Lady Bird Johnson’s Lemon Cake is a delightful treat that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.