Here’s a recipe for Amish Onion Fritters:
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Mix well to combine.
- Add the milk and beaten egg to the dry ingredients. Stir until the batter is smooth and well combined. The batter should be thick but pourable.
- Add the thinly sliced onions to the batter and mix until all the onions are well coated.
- In a deep skillet or frying pan, heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil over medium heat until it reaches 350°F (175°C).
- Using a spoon or your hands, carefully drop spoonfuls of the onion batter into the hot oil. Flatten the fritters slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Fry the fritters in batches, turning them occasionally, until they are golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Once the fritters are cooked, remove them from the oil using a slotted spoon or tongs, and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Repeat the frying process with the remaining onion batter until all the fritters are cooked.
- Serve the Amish Onion Fritters warm as a side dish or as a snack. They can be enjoyed on their own or with a dipping sauce of your choice.
Note: Be cautious when frying and handling hot oil to prevent burns. Make sure to dispose of the used oil properly.
Enjoy your homemade Amish Onion Fritters!