Here’s a recipe for Vanilla Custard Bars:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and powdered sugar. Cut in the softened butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish to form the crust. Bake it in the preheated oven for about 15-18 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Remove it from the oven and let it cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and granulated sugar. Heat over medium heat until the mixture starts to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and egg yolks until well combined.
- Slowly pour about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly to temper the eggs. Then, pour the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining hot milk mixture.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and comes to a boil. Continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the custard mixture over the cooled crust in the baking dish, spreading it evenly.
- Bake the bars in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the custard is set and the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool completely at room temperature.
- Once cooled, refrigerate the bars for at least 2 hours or until chilled and firm.
- Cut the bars into squares or rectangles and dust them with powdered sugar before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Vanilla Custard Bars!