Baklava is a delicious Middle Eastern dessert made of layers of flaky pastry and sweet syrup. Here’s a recipe for baklava with walnuts:
- 1 pound phyllo pastry
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix together the chopped walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves in a medium-sized bowl.
- Brush a 9×13 inch baking dish with melted butter.
- Unwrap the phyllo pastry and place it on a flat surface. Cut the pastry to fit the baking dish.
- Cover the phyllo pastry with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Place two sheets of phyllo pastry in the bottom of the baking dish. Brush the top sheet with melted butter.
- Add a layer of the walnut mixture over the phyllo pastry.
- Repeat layers of phyllo pastry and walnuts until all the filling is used, ending with a layer of phyllo pastry on top.
- Brush the top layer with melted butter.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the baklava into diamond-shaped pieces.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the baklava is baking, combine the honey, water, and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat and let the syrup simmer for 10-15 minutes or until it thickens.
- When the baklava is done baking, remove it from the oven and immediately pour the hot syrup over it.
- Allow the baklava to cool completely before serving.
Enjoy your delicious homemade baklava with walnuts!