Brioche donuts are a delicious and slightly sweet variation of traditional donuts. Here’s a recipe to prepare them:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the warm water and one of the eggs. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, along with the remaining two eggs. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Add the butter, a little at a time, and continue to mix until the dough is smooth and elastic. This can take about 10 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until it has doubled in size. This can take about 2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to a thickness of about 1/2 inch.
- Use a donut cutter or biscuit cutter to cut out donut shapes. If you don’t have a donut cutter, you can use a large round cookie cutter and a smaller one for the center hole.
- Place the donuts on a lightly floured surface and let them rise again until they have doubled in size. This can take another hour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot or deep fryer to 350°F.
- Carefully place the donuts in the hot oil, frying them for 1-2 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown.
- Remove the donuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and place them on a wire rack to cool.
- Once the donuts have cooled, dust them with powdered sugar.
Your delicious brioche donuts are now ready to serve!