German Chocolate Cake is a delicious dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. Here’s a recipe to help you make one from scratch:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
For the frosting:
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients, and beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add the boiling water and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the chopped pecans and shredded coconut.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool completely in the pans.
For the frosting:
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, chopped pecans, and shredded coconut.
- Let the frosting cool for about 10 minutes before using.
To assemble the cake:
- Place one of the cake layers on a serving plate or cake stand.
- Spread a layer of frosting over the top of the cake layer.
- Repeat with the second and third cake layers, spreading frosting between each layer.
- Spread a layer of frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate the top of the cake with additional chopped pecans and shredded coconut, if desired.
- Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.