German Chocolate Cake is a delicious dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Here is a recipe to make a homemade German Chocolate Cake from scratch:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
For the Coconut Pecan Frosting:
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and prepare two 9-inch cake pans by greasing and flouring them.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Slowly add the hot water, mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- While the cakes are baking, prepare the Coconut Pecan Frosting.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, and butter.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and begins to boil.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, shredded coconut, and chopped pecans.
- Allow the frosting to cool for 10-15 minutes before spreading it over the cooled cake layers.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate, and spread a thick layer of frosting on top.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the frosting and spread another layer of frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
- Serve and enjoy your Homemade German Chocolate Cake!