Here’s a recipe for fried apple or peach pies that you can try:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can apple or peach pie filling
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cinnamon sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add water, stirring with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/8-inch thickness.
- Using a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter, cut out circles of dough.
- Place a spoonful of pie filling in the center of each circle.
- Fold the dough over the filling and press the edges together with a fork to seal.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry pies in hot oil until golden brown, turning once. This should take about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove pies from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired and serve warm.
Enjoy your delicious fried apple or peach pies!