Texas Sheet Cake is a classic chocolate cake recipe that is easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd. Here’s a simple recipe to follow:
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 15×10 inch baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the water and cocoa powder and stir until smooth.
- Pour the melted butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Add in the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract and stir until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the milk and cocoa powder and stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the frosting over the warm cake and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top (if using).
- Allow the cake to cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.
Enjoy your delicious Texas Sheet Cake!